For those of you in the U.S., you will most probably be spending the day with your families celebrating our annual commencement of the college football bowl season. I, myself, have no interest in football, but I will be with my family today observing a holiday which, in the U.S., happens bizarrely to coincide with the aforementioned football-related event. I speak, of course, of Thanksgiving. To which, I wish you all a Happy Thanksgiving.
I won’t regale you here with tales of dread winters, Pilgrims, and Wampanoags, nor of Turkeys Past. But, as is somewhat traditional, I shall endeavor to list the things for which I am grateful this year:
- My Dear Wife and my wonderful son, B.T. I don’t always express my appreciation as fully as I should. But you should know that I love you both.
- The opportunity to live in a free and democratic nation. It’s not perfect (this nation), by any means, but it has a lot going for it. But I am so very glad to live in a place and time when I am relatively free to pursue my own destiny and make the most of my life.
- Education. I’m in school, getting ever-so-closer to my graduation day when I earn my Sheepskin Second Class (i.e. the MBA). And I am so ready to be done. But I am so very lucky to have had the opportunity to learn more and advance myself.
- Good food, good friends, good family. Though not in that order. I love my family, and am grateful to be able to spend this holiday with them. Not just my Dear Wife and son, but my parents and siblings and nieces and nephews as well (my wife says they are called “nildren”). What’s more, I’m very lucky to be able to say that through my wife I am now connected to another wonderful family who I am likewise always happy to visit or have over to visit. On this Thanksgiving day, I am thankful for all of them.
- My Home. It’s small – some might say cozy. But it’s very nice. It was precisely what Dear Wife and I needed at the time. And I am grateful each day to go home to it, and to those who dwell there with me.
- The opportunity and the will to write. Writing time is scarce these days, but it will not long be so. I’ve always loved writing stories, since the earliest days of my childhood. I still love it, and frankly can’t go long without taking the chance to sit and write. And I’m always glad that this is a part of who I am. I’d rather be a writer than any other kind of crazy.
- Excellent books and other forms of entertainment in the various Fantasy, Science Fiction, and Speculative genres. I don’t have much time to enjoy it all, right now. But things will ease up soon, and I shall enjoy it all with much gusto when things do.
- All of you. I’m grateful for you, the readers of my blog. Someday, I hope to be published. When that day comes, I hope you’ll all stick with me.
Happy Thanksgiving, everyone.